Stopping bad eating habits and achieving  a balanced and healthy lifestyle. isn’t always that easy.  There are so many different advice out there, different products being put in front of you and making the right choices becomes hard work  –  this is not a lifestyle.

Lifestyle should mean easy, comfortable, routine.  For the rest of your life.  Lifestyle means making the right choices, every day. 24/7

To make the right choices, we sometimes need good advice, tools to assist you.  Here are a few:

DON’T BE A MINDLESS SHOPPER

One of the biggest problems is that eating healthy had become very expensive.  The trick is to hit the shops knowing what you need.

I often watch people doing their shopping. I have my little trolley of fruits and vegetables and many people simply go down the aisles chucking in things that are tempting  –  this is what’s called “mindless shopping”

Grocery shopping isn’t something you should do after work with the thought of whipping up a quick meal.  Do a weekly shopping trip to stock your fridge and pantry with the right food.

Even if it turns out that shopping for healthier alternatives is a bit more expensive, it really is the best long-term health investment you can make.

PLAN AHEAD

Bad eating habits are often based on ease and convenience, so the best way to break them is to make sure healthier alternatives are always at hand.  You’ve got to make sure your house is filled with healthier versions of the things you often fall back on.

Keep a food dairy for the week, then going through it and identify the unhealthy items.  Once you know what they are, find healthier alternatives.

Eg.:  if you always end up eating white bread for lunch, buy a healthier loaf and keep it at work, or, if you keep craving milk chocolate when you have a 3pm slump, keep some dark chocolate in your drawer.

THE 80/20 APPROACH

I don’t believe in deprivation.  Indulgence is also important.  The 80/20 approach to food is better than hard to sustain diets.

What the 80/20 approach means, is that you eat clean 80% of the time and give yourself leeway to indulge in your favorite treats during the other 20%.

To make it easier, use the week as your 80% period and the weekend as your 20%.

So on a weekend you can relax about food and have a few glasses of wine, but it’s still moderate indulgence  –  having a few pieces of chocolates, not the whole bar.  We have to train our minds to indulge moderately because people don’t know how to do that.

The reason this approach works so well, is because it’s not focused on what you can’t do.  You never fee restricted or deprived, so I don’t over eat or binge, because I give myself permission to have it.  This way you really do not want to eat that much.

 

BEING PRESENT AT MEAL TIMES

Interacting with social media while eating, will take your focus away from what you are eating, thus creating an opportunity to over eat.

Social media isn’t the only thing to avoid while you eat.  Rather remove all distractions while you eat  –  TV.

You need to spend time at every meal and really enjoy it.  Be present, chew each mouthful and your brain will then understand “I’ve eaten.”

 

EXERCISE MODERATELY AND DON’T FEEL GUILTY

Just like with food, some people are obsessive about exercise.  But it’s not healthy to feel stressed and guilty about not exercising enough.  Although exercise is great for your mind and body, so is the rest.

Broaden your idea of exercise.  Don’t think of it only in terms of hour – long gym sessions.  If you don’t have time to exercise, just go for a walk during your lunch break, do some Pilates at home or where ever you are.  Even if you do something small, your body will still respond.

Half an hour exercise a day is fine, whether it’s at gym or a walk in the park or stretching.  Whether you are fit or don’t enjoy exercise much, what you’re doing should leave you feeling energized, not exhausted.

 

5 HEALTHY HABITS TO START TODAY:

  • Drink more water
  • Protein is key
  • Don’t go home hungry
  • Go slow – chew slowly
  • Reduce stress

 

FOR MORE HEALTHY CHATS, EXERCISE IDEAS AND MOTIVATION, FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK: