What you also didn’t know, is that this record was shattered by a 57 year old George Hood, a trainer and former Marine, in Southern California. He went five hours, 15 minutes.
What a pointless record to pursue, you might think. Perhaps just 2 minutes of planking is already too much to comprehend.
WHY SHOULD YOU PLANK?
- This will improve your CORE STRENGTH
- You will tone your tummy
- It strengthens your back
- You burn fat and increase metabolism
- It lowers your risk of injury
- You’ll enjoy better bone and joint health
- Your posture ans balance improve
- Everyday tasks will become easier
- You will be less stressed and happier as it lifts your spirit – you can’t but smile after conquering the plank!
- Yes, you’ll become addicted!
HOW LONG SHOULD I HOLD A PLANK?
The Plank challenges (where you aim to hold the Plank for 3 or even 5 min) are getting very popular. But these challenges train your willpower and your mind more than your core.
When a Plank is performed with the right form it’s challenging even for a short time.
Why do you want to hold a plank for longer than 2 minutes? To be able to say:”Because I can”, and get recognition for it? Or are you wanting to improve your health, which should be your ultimate goal.
Holding a plank for 2 minutes takes concentration, mind-power and correct form. Doing a plank RIGHT is far more important than how long you are holding it. If when you are able to hold a plank for 2 minutes, you have broken your own record, why not move on to challenging your body in other ways, like variations to planking, challenging your body once again and pushing its limits.
HOW TO DO A CORRECT PLANK:
Place the forearms on the ground with the elbows aligned below the shoulders, and arms parallel to the body at about shoulder-width distance.
Place your feet hip width apart.
USELESS FUN FACTS ABOUT PLANKING….
- Comedian Tom Green claims to have invented planking as early as 1990. An old video uploaded on YouTube showed Green lying on the sidewalk as if he died or passed out.
- Planking is known as Facedowns in the United States, A Plat Ventre (on one’s belly) in France, Playing Dead in South Korea and Extreme Lying Down in the Australasia region.
- On September 2009, seven doctors and nurses in England were suspended from duty in a hospital emergency department after planking on gurneys, ward floors and the building’s helipad.
- On September 2011, Quezon City Rep. Winston “Winnie” Castelo filed the Anti-Planking Act of 2011, which involves the creation of a universal Code of Student Conduct “where planking as a form of redress of grievance be strictly prohibited and appropriate sanctions be applied for violations thereof.”
FOR MORE EXERCISES, HEALTH CHATS AND MOTIVATION, FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK: